30 minute parking

I love early morning runs though my hometown. There’s a peacefulness to our city in the early hours of the day…birds chirping in the park, freshly–swept storefronts and a stately old water tower that keeps watch over the quiet streets.

And there’s the signs. Signs announcing daily meal specials, special promotions and church announcements. These displays tell a silent, visual story of the activities of our community.

My favorite sign is just across from the main intersection of downtown…near the post office. It’s a weathered “30 minute parking” sign. I like it because it’s just high enough for me to give it a gentle “slap” as I run past. It’s also a reminder that I’m just over a 1/2 mile away from our house.

30 minute parking. Just enough time for us to stop, run an errand and then move on. It’s telling us to not delay…to keep moving.

We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming, when no one can work. John 9:4

Our lives as Christians are meant to be active. We are to constantly learn, act and serve.

Besides this you know the time, that the hour has come for you to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed. Romans 13:11

Jesus was the model for action. He was constantly moving. Seeking. Serving. It’s what we are supposed to do too.

I am inclined to fill my calendar with work, family activities and hobbies. Personal evangelism takes a back seat to other pursuits.

I need to keep moving, start serving and connect with others on a spiritual level.

This week I pray for courage to be more bold in communicating the love of Christ to others. I want to be a worker for the Lord.

And please let me know how I may pray for you.

God bless.

Standard

2 thoughts on “30 minute parking

  1. Dana Hagan says:

    I heard a statistic the other day that said 80% of people that claim to be believers NEVER share their faith with anyone ever in their whole life. No wonder we can’t reach our world? Another staggering statistic is that America is less than 5% of the world population. If we reached our whole country we would still be leaving out 95% of our world. Crazy isn’t it! I guess for some folks, it makes it seem pointless to keep sharing but for me, it just pushes me harder to share with everyone!!

  2. Chris Long says:

    That’s awesome Keith! Some of my church brothers and I have been going out door to door, to reach people in the community with the gospel of Christ! We are planning mission work to go out to a rough neighborhood in Memphis, and minister to people out of our own comfort zones, and it a great blessing to have the opportunity to do so. Will totally change your perspective in life! Great Commission

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s